Here are a few predictions of what home design trends are going to be in demand this year according to surveys and studies:
1. Warm modernism. Many regions in the US are choosing modern aesthetics over the rustic style that was so popular in 2017 and 2018. Black and white, along with raw materials like steel and wool, will continue to be en vogue, but they’ll be softened by color and asymmetry.
2. Effortless technology and transformations. Products like Google’s Home and Amazon’s Alexa will continue to rise in popularity, combining them with other innovative techs like lighting fixtures, sinks, faucets, and thermostats.
3. Industrial style. Concrete-, quartz-, and metal-lovers: You’re in luck! 2019 Is going to be a good year for your style.
4. Black or charcoal front door. Studies show that if you have a black or charcoal front door, that alone could increase the value of your home by $6,271 when/if you sell it in 2019.
Many regions in the US are choosing modern aesthetics over the rustic style
that was so popular in 2017 and 2018.
On the other hand, some trends in the market will fade as the year continues. Here’s what will be out this year:
1. Farmhouse-chic style. It will remain relevant for a while, but this home style will begin to fade away in 2019. The barn door with reclaimed wood will eventually be replaced with modern versions including glass and metal, and the exposed Edison light bulbs that are so popular will make way for reflecting, concealed light bulbs.
2. Millennial pink and purple gingham. Brought to the fore by fads on Instagram and other social media outlets, studies show that people don’t want to live with these colors every day for years on end. Neutral colors like blues, greys, and creams will be in, as they’re shown to add higher dollar values to homes than those that have millennial pink and bright purples.
If you’re going to sell your house in 2019, remember that your home should be marketed for the masses, meaning that neutrality is key. If you appeal to masses, the more in-demand your home will be. Mind you, there will always be a specific buyer pool for whatever style your home has, but it may take a little longer to find them so that you can sell your home.
If you have any questions about home design trends in the market, preparing your home for sale, or other real estate-related questions, please reach out to me. I’d be glad to help.